Plan and prepare, it doesn't take a direct hit
By John Patrick - ABC7 Chief Meteorologist
Hurricane Season 2013 is underway in Southwest Florida and an above average season, as far as the number of named storms in the Atlantic Basin, is predicted this year. Before things really start getting active, you need to get ready.
The 2012 season produced 19 named tropical storms, of which 10 became hurricanes. Of those 10 hurricanes, two became major hurricanes with wind speeds higher than 110 mph. The most destructive storm of the season was Sandy, which left 285 people dead and $68 billion worth of damage in its wake, making it the second-costliest Atlantic hurricane on record, behind only Hurricane Katrina in 2005.
Sandy also caused some policy changes at the National Hurricane Center, one of which we witnessed during the first named storm of the 2013 hurricane season, Andrea. The Hurricane Center will continue to issue "Post Tropical Cyclone" advisories as long as a storm poses a threat to land, even if it's not a purely tropical system anymore.
Formulate your plan
- What to do with your pool before and after the stormPublished 5/31/2013 at 12:00 a.m.
- Tips for making sure you are properly covered by insurancePublished 5/31/2013 at 12:00 a.m.
- Experts say store your medical records electronicallyPublished 5/31/2013 at 12:00 a.m.
- Experts offer advice for boaters to prepare for storm seasonPublished 5/31/2013 at 12:00 a.m.
- Make preparations for pets in your hurricane planPublished 5/31/2013 at 12:00 a.m.
- Plan in advance and register for special needs sheltersPublished 5/31/2013 at 12:00 a.m.
- Technology aids Collier, Lee residents in storm trackingPublished 5/31/2013 at 12:00 a.m.
- Shelters in Lee CountyPublished 5/31/2013 at 12:00 a.m.
- Important storm emergency numbers to knowPublished 5/31/2013 at 12:00 a.m.
- Important numbers to know in city of NaplesPublished 5/31/2013 at 12:00 a.m.
- Emergency numbers for Marco IslandPublished 5/31/2013 at 12:00 a.m.
- Important storm numbers for Lee CountyPublished 5/31/2013 at 12:00 a.m.
- Important south Lee numbers to knowPublished 5/31/2013 at 12:00 a.m.
- Important utility, agency numbers to know in regionPublished 5/31/2013 at 12:00 a.m.
- Keeping trees healthy, trimmedPublished 5/31/2013 at 12:00 a.m.
- Important websites at your fingertipsPublished 5/31/2013 at 12:00 a.m.
- Flood insurance program changes affect Collier, LeePublished 5/31/2013 at 12:00 a.m.
- Evacuating or staying? Either way, have a planPublished 5/31/2013 at 12:00 a.m.
- Crews prepared to adjust as several Collier road projects under wayPublished 5/31/2013 at 12:00 a.m.
- Key Lee County roads under construction during storm seasonPublished 5/31/2013 at 12:00 a.m.
- Teminology and storm intensity information to knowPublished 5/31/2013 at 12:00 a.m.
- Different ways to protect windows, sliding doorsPublished 5/31/2013 at 12:00 a.m.
- Riding it out at home? Here are some safety tipsPublished 5/31/2013 at 12:00 a.m.
- Tornadoes, lightning are other severe weather threatsPublished 5/31/2013 at 12:00 a.m.
- Be cautious when repairing roof damage after stormPublished 5/31/2013 at 12:00 a.m.
- Be safe after the storm -- check out repair contractorsPublished 5/31/2013 at 12:00 a.m.
- Florida Division of Emergency Management - (850) 413-9969
- FEMA - 1-800-621-FEMA
- Department of Financial Services Insurance Claim Hotline - 1-800-22-STORM
- Report Insurance Fraud - 1-800-342-2762
- Report Unlicensed Activity - (866) 532-1440
- Attorney General's Price Gouging Hotline - (866) 966-7226
- Collier County Contractor Licensing - (239) 252-2431
- Lee County Contractor Licensing - (239) 533-8895
Should you decide to seek shelter when a storm is nearing, knowing where to go is essential. Traffic and full shelters may force you to pursue other options, and the more familiar you ar with your county, the better off you will be.
View evacuation routes for south Lee and Collier counties. Plot the safest route for evacuation.
- Two simple things you already do that could save a life Published 2/28/2014 at 11:37 a.m. 0 comments
- Sales tax holidays can aid consumers, raid local government budgets Published 2/10/2014 at 6:20 a.m. 0 comments
- Gov. Scott seeks 15-day hurricane supply tax holiday Updated 1/28/2014 at 11:13 a.m. 0 comments
- Weak 2013 Atlantic hurricane season draws to close Updated 11/25/2013 at 5:34 p.m. 1 comment
- Typhoon Haiyan's storm surges caught Philippines by surprise Published 11/11/2013 at 7:44 a.m. 0 comments
- One of strongest storms on record blasts Philippines, kills 4 Updated 11/8/2013 at 9:18 a.m. 0 comments
- Sandy survivors to light up shore on storm's first anniversary Published 10/29/2013 at 5:48 a.m. 0 comments
- Hurricane-force gusts batter Britain, France Published 10/28/2013 at 7:42 a.m. 0 comments
- Tropical Storm Lorenzo forms in the Atlantic Published 10/22/2013 at 4:54 a.m. 0 comments
- Raymond becomes major hurricane as it nears Mexico's Pacific coast Updated 10/21/2013 at 5:59 p.m. 0 comments
- Oct 4th 2013 Tropical Storm Karen takes aim at…
- May 31st 2013 2013 Hurricane Guide Graphics
- May 31st 2013 2013 Hurricane Guide Photos
- Oct 29th 2012 Hurricane Sandy - Monday
- Aug 30th 2012 Gulf, human toll high as Isaac moves on
- Aug 27th 2012 After Isaac At Naples Pier